Skip to content

Fans’ Voices Remain Loud Over Newco

July 3, 2012

OVER 420 Dumbarton supporters, mainly Sonstrust members, have taken part in an online poll to determine fan opinion over the possibility of the Newco Rangers being admitted into the SFL First Division.

The outcome so far is decisive. In less than a week 371 people have said they think that the Newco should have to apply to the SFL and be admitted at the lowest level, which is the Third Division.

On the other hand, 50 think it would either be positive, or permissible in conjuction with the right deal for all SFL clubs, for them to go into the First Division – where Dumbarton will be playing in the coming season.

A few who voted are still undecided. 20 people attempted to vote more than once, but these votes have been discounted. The poll will remain live until the end of the week, so it is not too late to have YOUR say.

The Sonstrust has conveyed the feeling of supporters to the Board of Dumbarton FC, who have been considering the matter internally. A non-voting meeting of SFL members has been taking place today. More news on this will follow shortly. Among those present has been Alan Findlay, Trust director on the DFC Board and the Club’s commercial director.

The Sonstrust Board has been monitoring the situation closely, and meets this evening. There has been discussion between the Trust and the Club about a wider meeting to review and respond to the outcomes of meetings taking place this week, and the information shared at them. The Club is making it clear that it wishes to take the views of the fans on this question seriously, while also being concerned for the wider picture.

Scottish Premier League members meet tomorrow and are expected to refuse the Newco Rangers entry into the coming season’s SPL. However, some Clubs who have indicated their opposition are concerned that if the Newco does not go into the SFL First Division the financial consequences for them and for others in the game could be very serious indeed.

But fans outside the Old Firm in Scotland do not look in a mood to compromise on the issue at the moment. SFL chief David Longmuir, who has been pushing for the best possible deal for lower league Clubs, says that the football authorities have been “inundated” with letters and emails from supporters about the Newco Rangers situation. Well over 75% of these communications have been against making any allowances for the Newco just because it will bear part of the Rangers name, and though some have been angry, others have been described as “thought-provoking”.

Advertisements
5 Comments leave one →
  1. Donald Crocket permalink
    July 3, 2012 8:40 pm

    Thank you for the update.

    I think it would be in everyone’s interest if an open meeting could be arranged for fans, featuring representatives from the Sonstrust and the Board. There’s been a lot of frank and healthy dialogue so far but this would be the most effective way for people to put forth their feelings at the moment.

    I must dispute the following:

    ‘The Club is making it clear that it wishes to take the views of the fans on this question seriously, while also being concerned for the wider picture.’

    The Club has done nothing of the sort thus far. They’ve been conspicuous in their silence, while Raith and others have made themselves clear. I expect some proper communication from DFC in the next day or two, following today’s SFL meeting. They can’t justify remaining silent any longer.

  2. thughes permalink
    July 4, 2012 6:42 am

    Donald
    From what I know, the club have remained silent as they were not in procession of ALL the facts, until yesterday. I believe a meeting will now be held for the supporters where that information will be presented.

  3. July 4, 2012 9:10 am

    Tommy’s right, Donald. Watch for an announcement very soon. The comment about the Club wanting to take seriously what is being said is based on the conversations the Trust has been having – and the fact that we’ve been working hard to make sure fans’ voices are heard.

  4. Donald Crocket permalink
    July 4, 2012 10:43 am

    Thanks guys.

    I’m aware of the selfless work that the Trust continues to do on behalf of the fans. Your efforts are more important now than ever and the last thing I want to do is discredit that.

    I’m just anxious to hear the Board’s stance and their response to the concerns of the fans. I look forward to an announcement and any subsequent meeting.

  5. gcyule permalink
    July 4, 2012 6:55 pm

    I apologise Iwont be there as I am still en France
    I found it interesting that only 600 and something Motherwell fans voted on their poll
    Strange days indeed as Ialways thought we were a “DIDDY” club
    Great response from all our fans

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: